The Nacilbupera Guzzle

Whoever examines with attention the history of the dearths and famines … will find, I believe, that a dearth never has arisen from any combination among the inland dealers in corn, nor from any other cause but a real scarcity, occasioned sometimes perhaps, and in some particular places, by the waste of war, but in by far the greatest number of cases by the fault of the seasons; and that a famine has never arisen from any other cause but the violence of government attempting, by improper means, to remedy the inconveniences of a dearth. (Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations IV.5.44)

Monday, June 10, 2013

My Resignation From the Republican Party

The following is the text of a letter with a redacted a name or two I sent out to my neighborhood constituents and a few friends this evening:



Today I changed my life-long party affiliation from Republican to Unaffiliated.  As a result, I am also resigning today my position as a Utah County Republican Party delegate elected by majority vote in March of 2012.

I will limit to this paragraph the reasoning behind my resignation.  For some time I have been concerned about the divisiveness of partisan politics, to wit, General Washington in his farewell address warned us against such parties and factions.  Additionally in a nation built on checks and balances, I have been concerned about the concentration of power of Utah County into the hands of a sole faction:  I have witnessed the corruption that such power begets.  Finally, while I support the Preamble to the Party Platform which quotes Jefferson and our Declaration of Independence, the body of the Platform contains some items I reject as a conflict of Preamble and thus at odds with the words of the Declaration.  As a member of the Party, Article 2 of the County Constitution states that I am to support the Party Platform; this requirement is amplified for delegates with a stern, final-line warning in bold letters against anyone who might have disagreement with the Platform:  “All Republican elected officials, candidates and party officers are expected to endorse these principles and agree to be held accountable to the people and to the party.”  This statement creates an obstacle for all delegates who wish to be accountable to their constituency but whose views differ time to time from those of the Party or Platform.

I delayed my resignation so that I could report to you that I did serve you by happily attending both conventions--last year and this--and did my best to leave you with honorable elected officials and party officials.  I greatly enjoyed interacting with both the candidates and other Republicans in general.  In nearly all my interactions with other Republicans, I have been treated with respect and attention.  There is much value in us meeting together in these neighborhood political meetings we call a caucus to talk and to listen.  In my leaving there remain reasons for me to stay; yet I view the road of Unaffiliation as a freer, more noble course.  I wish no ill upon my Republican friends and will associate with Republicanism when and as it embraces truth.  Indeed, I leave the County Party today in what I feel a better place than it was when you first elected me in 2010.

I remain very involved in the political process and am retaining the non-partisan office as your neighborhood chair.  Indeed, with municipal elections Tuesday, August 13th, we need to elect among four candidates a mayor and among five candidates a city-wide council member.  

By my resignation, I am directing our Precinct Chair to fill my position until the next caucus meeting in March.  If my opinion is wanted on whom to replace me, I shall offer it to the Chair in private.

For those wishing more contact, you may always email me, Facebook me, or call me, anytime. Thank you for the wonderful opportunity this has been to serve you.

Regards,

No comments: